At the IEU, we understand that by doing your job, you may encounter situations with students, colleagues or management that risk your livelihood—particularly if you stand up against injustice to your students, your colleagues or yourself. That includes fighting for better conditions and fair workload.
Importantly, we also understand your employer should treat you with respect, professionalism and fairness.
Many of us in the IEU office (and Executive) are, or were, teachers or education support officers. We are people like you.
This makes the IEU your ideal support team, enabling you to focus on your job.
Join the IEU today
The key benefits of being a member of the IEU are:
- Providing collective input to government and other agencies regarding the professional and industrial agenda
- Professional support with general questions, contracts, negotiations, reclassifications, EA questions and leave entitlements, salary advice and work cover claims
- Support with individual and group workplace issues and consultations
- Professional indemnity insurance
- Industrial assistance and legal advice
- Onsite support at your workplace if required for disciplinary meetings
- Representation on Teachers Registration Board SA
- Assistance with teacher registration issues and inquiries
- Support negotiating Enterprise Agreements at the branch and sector level
- Professional learning workshops that count as PD for teacher registration
- Regular news updates via our eNewsletter ‘Class Action’
- Free access to Teacher Learning Network Professional Learning Courses – Online 24/7
- Discounted access to Edufolios – accreditation, registration and PD software
- Exclusive private health insurance offers from Teachers Health
- Member offers from ME Bank
- Discount offers from Union Shopper – some of the popular discounts:
*Discounts may vary – check at the time of purchase
Your union fees are less than 1% of your gross salary and are usually tax deductible. We have flexible low-cost holding membership fees if you are a student teacher, on Leave Without Pay, on Parenting Leave or retiring – we can cover you for all stages of your career.
When you consider the full value of all these services they are far in excess of the fees paid for membership.
The most valuable benefit of IEU membership
We believe the most valuable benefit of membership is ‘peace of mind’. Knowing that you can call us and ask for support or advice in most matters enables you to focus on being the best educator you can be without worrying about issues that shouldn’t slow you down.
Think of us as your personal support team.